Adapted from castleinthemountains.com
Yields 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 c. mozzerella, shredded
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray or rub olive oil all over it.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, warm cream cheese in 30-secon increments until it’s easily mixed (approx. 1 minute).
- Add mozzerella and mix together.
- Add eggs and combine.
- In a separate small bowl, mix almond flour, baking powder, and salt with a fork until there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the cheese mixture and combine.
- Oil hands and divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll into balls and flatten them into a bun-shaped disk. Place on parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if using. Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Use one bun for the top and one for the bottom of your burger. These hold up nicely because the almond flour isn’t directly exposed to wet ingredients like condiments or tomatoes. Alternatively, you can roll into 6 balls and slice buns in half when cool and ready to use.