Adapted from therealfoodsrds.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 6 strips uncooked bacon, chopped
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 8 oz.)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 8 oz. raw asparagus, wood ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 c. chopped sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water and drained
- 3/4 c. raw cashews
- 2 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 c. unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1/4 c. fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Trim both ends from the spaghetti squash with a large knife. Cut the squash in half, then cut each halves in half again, this time lengthwise (i.e., cut into quarters) or cut the squash into rings if you want longer, more spaghetti-like strands.
- Place spaghetti squash pieces cut-side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake 25–35 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Use a fork to carefully remove strands of squash into a bowl. Cover bowl with a plate to keep warm.
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Place a plate over the bowl to cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes while you prepare the squash and trim the asparagus.
- Drain cashews in a small bowl and place in the pitcher of a high-power blender.
- Add nutritional yeast, half of the minced garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and almond milk.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Set sauce aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving about 1 Tbsp. of the fat in the pan.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat, then add asparagus pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender (about 5–6 minutes).
- Add remaining minced garlic and continue to cook another 30 seconds or until fragrant, then add spaghetti squash strands and garlic cream sauce to the pan. Stir to combine, then gently fold chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, and parsley into the squash mixture. Reduce heat to medium and allow to heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.