This is a TV segment I did for KOLR10 News (Springfield, Missouri) that teaches how to make this dish. This is a great and easy dish you can make at home. This low-carb dish substitutes spaghetti squash for the pasta and it is so delicious!
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
Yields 7 to 8, 1-cup servings
Prep time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 16-oz. jar marinara sauce (no added sugar or chemicals)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2–3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- With a fork, poke several holes into the spaghetti squash.
- Place spaghetti squash in microwave on high for 20 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti squash from microwave. (Be careful! It's hot!) Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds.
- Place a colander inside a larger bowl.
- With a fork, shred spaghetti squash and place in colander.
- Salt spaghetti squash. Place squash in refrigerator for 1 hour, to extract the extra water.
- Heat pan to medium heat. Place ground sausage in pan and cook until browned.
- Add the marinara sauce to the sausage and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Remove cooked squash from the refrigerator. Add Parmesan cheese and eggs to the squash and combine.
- Layer spaghetti squash, meat sauce, and 1 cup of the mozzerella cheese into a 9-inch pie plate. Repeat layers until ingredients are used up. Top with a generous layer of mozzerella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
Amounts per Serving
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 7 grams
- Cholesterol: 120 mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Carbohydrate: 20 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 14 grams